Since it’s Earth Day, I figured I would share a few minimal changes I’ve made to my every day life that make a positive impact on the environment. My boyfriend has always been an “eco-freak” and is constantly looking for ways to go green. I’ve since adopted some of his methods (and found some of my own!) that are so easy, but make a difference when we need it most!
- Reusable bags – This concept is not new, but plastic bags are still a real problem! And personally, I hate storing them in my house! I finally decided to gather some tote bags and reusable grocery bags, so between Brett and I we have about 20! That leaves us enough to always keep some in our car and cycle them out after each shopping trip. When I’m able to keep at least 3 in my car at any given time, I always remember to bring them to the store – even if it’s an unplanned trip – and it’s become a habit to grab them. Now, I’m using them for all of my shopping – not just groceries – and I love that I don’t have any plastic bags filling my cupboard anymore! Plus the reusable bags are so much sturdier, making carrying groceries a breeze.
- Reusable baggies – Similarly, Ziploc or sandwich bags are constantly cluttering landfills. I’ve started using these new reusable options! They can be thrown in the dishwasher, so they are super easy to use and maintain. The different material and “zipper” take some getting used to, but it’s worth it to save the money and environment!
- Dryer balls – These things are game changers! Replace dryer sheets with these dryer balls! They dry your clothes faster and save you money on dryer sheets. You can reuse them over and over, and I like to add a few drops of essential oils onto mine to make my clothes smell good too! This is my favorite oil for laundry, and it doesn’t stain my clothes!
- Makeup eraser – For my ladies! I used to use cotton pads to remove my makeup every day, and I realized how much trash I was adding to the environment with every use! I recently bought this makeup eraser that’s safe to throw in the washing machine. It is fabulous at removing makeup and I chose a color I could throw in to my laundry once a week. I’m loving it so far, and I feel so much better now that I don’t have to go through so many cotton pads!
- Glass water bottle – I know this one is obvious but I still see people with plastic water bottles all the time and it drives me NUTS. I firmly believe in using a glass one too because there can be harmful chemicals in some plastic reusable bottles too. Plus, I love to add essential oils to my water and oils can eat through plastic bottles eventually.
- Eat less meat and dairy. You may have heard that meat and dairy products are a large source of green house gasses, both directly and indirectly. I have greatly reduced my consumption of these foods and honestly, I feel better too! Avoiding dairy products has improved my digestive health, and it makes an impact on the planet!
- Ladies, consider using a cup when it’s that time of the month. This one is a less “easy” transition, but could be an important one for the environment and your wallet! It’s a little crazy and takes some getting used to, but you can save so much money on feminine products AND reduce tons of waste!
- Put a bucket in your shower to catch excess water. You’d be surprised at how quickly that bucket fills! Then, take the bucket outside and water your plants, or use it to fill your sink for dishes! A little bit goes a long way, and you’ll feel better about it!
- Consider things you use and throw away every day (like makeup remover pads for me)! Then Google options for “reusable” versions. It won’t work for everything, but you’d be surprised at the amount of genius products out there!
leave a comment